Help the Learning Libraries Committee get more books into the hands of children in our community! We are looking for local business partners to host books drives during the month of February. All books will be donated to Title 1 elementary schools in Palm Beach County. If you know a prospective business or would like to host a book drive at your location, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The Learning Libraries Committee aims to create a culture of reading that helps improve children’s literacy development.
Our objective is to inspire children to become avid readers by providing books to Title 1 schools through local book drives, utilizing the Junior League of Boca Raton’s voluntarism network and working with key community partners.
- Since the start of the Learning Libraries in Fall 2021, we have collected more than 1300 books and donated to local families through schools and other nonprofit partners.
- We have implemented a free community library open to the public at the JLBR Community Garden in Meadows Park.
- Donated over 400 books to two deserving teachers at Plumosa School of the Arts and Whispering Pines Elementary and more than 150 elementary school books and 150 middle school books for Plumosa School of the Arts library.
- Collected more than 400 gently used books at the September GMM
- Sustainers held a book drive for new books at the Sustainer Social in October
- League members can support this initiative by hosting book drives or working with local businesses to fund book purchases or host their own book drives.
Done in a Days opportunities
- Reading to Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grades classes during Read for the Record at Plumosa School of the Arts
- Sorting and stamping books collected this fall
- Upcoming opportunities for “Growing the Love of Reading” community event at the Community Garden on March 4, 2023
How You Can Get Involved
- Donate books!
- Host a book drive
- Connect us to a business that might be interested in getting involved
- Ask coworkers and friends with extra books to donate!
- We were honored to also hear that a member went above and beyond recently at her son’s birthday party where the family asked for donations of books in lieu of gifts! They collected 250 books!
Donation at Plumosa:
Co-Chairs Ami Zak and Valentina Moretti
Mrs. Leaha Weidenhamer, Teacher on Special Assignment (TOSA, Middle School), Plumosa School of the Arts
Mrs. Emily Mox, Kindergarten Teacher, Plumosa School of the Arts